New Words Found : Speed post : Postal service that delivers our messages faster. Current affairs : The present events of political or social interest happening around the World Multimedia : The ability of a computer to include photographs, video, music and animations with text
Important Notes : + Conveying our thoughts, views and messages to others is called communication. + In olden times, pigeons and horse riders were used to deliver messages. + We can talk with people all over the world through the telephone and mobile phones. + Today, we have many quick and easy means of sending messages such as postal service, e-mail, SMS, telephones, fax etc. + Communicating on a large scale is called mass communication. Newspapers, magazines, television, radio etc. are the means of mass communication.
Tick (✓) the correct answer.
1. The number of post offices in India is about- a. 2 lakhs b. 1.5 lakhs c. 5 lakhs 2. To send a message quickly by postal service we use- a. speed post b. general post c. none of these 3. The Hindu and Dainik Bhaskar are- a. Magazines b. Books c. newspapers 4. iPhone is a - a. Computerb. mobile phonec. telephone
Fill in the blanks
1. Newspapers and magazines are examples of print media. 2. All India radio is the oldest radio station of India. 3. Satellite TV is also known as Cable T.V. 4. The Hindi film industry is also known as Bollywood.
Short answer Questions.
1. Mention two uses of the Internet.
E-mailing and browsing internet are the two uses of the internet.
2. Name two means of mass communication.
Television and Newspaper are two means of mass communication.
3. Name two services provided by the post office.
Speed post and money order are two services provided by the post office.
4 Why is the sale of mobile phones increasing day by day?
The reducing rates of local, STD and ISD calls and cheap handsets are the main reasons for which the sale of mobile phones is increasing day by day.
Answer the following questions.
1. How do newspapers and magazines help us?
Newspapers and magazines are the two means of mass communication. We can get various types of information from them. The newspapers help us to learn about all the current affairs of the world. Magazines also give us important information.
2. write five sentences about the radio.
Radio is an important mass media. It entertains us with its musical programmes and provides important information and news. The illiterate people can learn about the latest happenings from radio. Moreover, it can be carried anywhere easily. All India Radio (Akashvani) is the oldest radio station of India.
3. Write what you know about mobile phones.
We can send instant message and talk with people all over the world through mobile phone. Mobile phones can be carried easily. The use of mobile phones is increasing day by day. Iphone is the latest in mobile phones.
4 What is iPhone?
iPhone, the latest in mobile phones has been launched in 2007 to provide the facilities of browsing, emailing, video-recording, multimedia and also to watch T.V. and many more things.