+ Raw materials are converted into finished goods by the industries. + There are mainly three types of industries on the basis of size and capital used - cottage industries, small-scale industries and large-scale industries. +On the basis of the raw materials used, industries are classified as agro-based industries and mineral-based industries. + India is one of the largest producers of sugar in the world. + Cotton textile industry is India's largest and oldest agro-based industry.
Tick [✓] the correct answer.
1. The things from which we make finished goods are called- a. ready materials b. raw materials c. rough materials 2. Bread is a- a. finished good b. raw material c. none of these 3. Pickle making is an example of- a. large-scale industry b. small-scale industry c. cottage industry 4. To set up a large-scale industry, we require - a. a little space [ ] b. a large space c. none of these
Fill in the blanks.
1. Grinding flour is an example of cottage industry. 2. Steel industry is mineral based industry. 3. Cotton textile industry is agro based industry. 4. India and Cuba are the two largest producers of sugar in the world.
Short answer questions.
1. Give two examples of large-scale industries.
Iron and Steel plants and Textile mills are two examples of large Scale industries.
2. Give two examples of small-scale industries.
Garments manufacturing and electrical appliance manufacturing are two examples of small scale industries.
3. Which is the oldest agro-based industry in India?
Cotton Textile industry is India's oldest agro based industry.
4. Where are the silk textile mills located in India?
Varanasi, Bhagalpur, Murshidabad, Bengaluru, Mysuru, Kanchipuram, Coimbatore and Surat are the main centers of silk textile mills located in India.
Answer the following questions.
1. Write a few sentences about the cottage industries.
Cottage Industries are set up by families inside their houses. Mostly, all the family members work in such an industry with very simple machines or tools. Cane furniture, pickles, papads etc are some examples of cottage industries.
2. What do you know about large-scale industries?
In Large-scale industries, thousands of workers are employed. They work on big machines and produce goods on a large scale by using the machines and their skills. Iron and Steel plants, textile mills etc are some examples of large scale industries.
3. Write what you know about the jute grown in India.
Jute is grown mostly on the banks of river Ganga in West Bengal. The main Jute producing states are West Bengal, Bihar and Odisha.
4. What is the importance of cement? Which Indian states produce it?
Cement is used as an essential ingredient in the construction of bridges and big commercial, industrial and residential buildings. Gujarat, Rajasthan, Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu, Chhattisgarh and Andhra Pradesh are main states which produce cement.
5. What do you know about the iron and steel industry of India?
India's Iron and Steel industry is over 100 years old. Major steel plants are located in Bokaro and Jamshedpur in Jharkhand, Durgapur in West Bengal, Bhilai in Chhattisgarh, Salem in Tamil Nadu and Rourkela in Odisha.